AustinHigh.org Forum Index AustinHigh.org
An online community for alumni and students of Stephen F. Austin High School in Austin, Texas

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AustinHigh.org Forum Index -> Collective Timeline
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrew Chin
Site Admin

Class of 1984

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:28 am    Post subject: 1991 Reply with quote

Post your memories from the year 1991 here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Class Year *
Cristina L. Cox

Class of 1995

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:24 pm    Post subject: Movin' on up... Reply with quote

I can't remember if our parents decided to separate in '90 or '91, but '91 was when my mom decided we were moving to the US. Our world had been Santiago, Chile; Mom was a Yankee (by the way - South of the Border *any*one in the US is a Yankee, we don't care what side of the Mason-Dixon you're on) who met our dad, a Chilean, on a student exchange trip to Chile. They got married and Mom's 1-year "trip" turned into a 20-year stay, much to her parents' "chagrin" (to put it *exTREMEly* lightly).

In October, Mom flew to Texas for her youngest brother's wedding. We found out later this was a reconnaissance mission;she was scoping out the area, double checking last-minute details before officially announcing our move.

At school, a small private school with about 400 people from Pre-K to 12th grade (there were less than 25 students in the 8th grade class) the girls who tormented me for my first ten years at that school were now my friends. At lunch we sat under the tree at the end of the fútbol (sorry- "soccer") field and talked about how cool it was that I was going to live in the US. I was going to have lockers, and I didn't have to wear a uniform to school - just like "Saved By The Bell" and "90210." I was going to buy one of those jackets with the sleeves that are a different color than the rest of the jacket, that have the big letter on the front. I had no idea what that letter meant, but the cool kids always had a jacket like that in the movies and TV shows, and I was going to buy one.
But it wasn't all fun and games. "You have to watchout," one of the girls told me, "because there they have diseases like AIDS."

We flew out of Santiago November 25, arrived in Austin November 26; Grammy's birthday. After having me in the house for a few weeks I don't think she was as excited about her birthday present as she originally thought. Haven't you heard that song by Loverboy? Hard-headed Irish and hot-blooded Latin DNA just don't mix.

What "school" had been: one classroom, the same 20-25 kids I'd been with since Pre-K; ugly uniforms (my "street" clothes wardrobe was limited); the school set the class schedule for each grade, they told us what we were going to learn; when the bell rang you always had a few minutes of ruckusing while we waited for the next teacher to show up.
What "school" was going to be: seven different classrooms spread out over an area bigger than the Parque Arauco mall; twenty-five new kids in each room; lugging my books around instead of keeping them in my desk. Being told I had "an accent." (We went to an "American" school in Chile, all our classes were in English. I was used to having "the best" English accent, my teaches commented on it at parent-student-teacher conferences. I got into arguments with my English teacher more than once because I knew more English than she did - c'mon, my mom *lived* in the US. I had a *right* to know more than my teacher.) My first day at the new school, the teacher informing the class that there was a new student who didn't understand her very well so she had to talk slower so that the new girl could understand her.

But the "new" school wasn't that bad. I didn't have to take Latin, I could keep learning French like I had for the past three years. There was a theater class! (Not like it did me much good... thank you Mr. Dragoo for never casting me... but it was still cool). And somewhere around my junior year at SFA I found out that the girls who danced at the pep rallies weren't guests from professional dance studio, they were the drill team and I could join, even though I'd never had dance classes before (which was not my fault, I nagged my mom as hard as I could but she's a tough woman).

All's well that ends well... even though my jacket has the sleeves the same color as the rest of the jacket, it's still cool because it has that sailor flap on the back. And I finally discovered what the letter meant!
Marcy Cox Hogan

Class of 1998

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say that's a pretty good recap of what it was like. I do remember getting excited about the move to the US because "things are cheaper in the states." I'm not sure that's true anymore, but who knows...

I think the transition was a bit easier for me, I wasn't as "set in my ways" as the older siblings were, but I was old enough to have a fairly good grasp of English (poor Jenny was in 1st grade and knew very very little). It was still "interesting" trying to catch onto the slang and cultural phrases. I remember one of the first weeks I was at our new school here a girl asked me "Do you go out with anyone?" and I kept answering "go where?" After repeating this exchange a couple times she finally explained that she meant "do you have a boyfriend." After the first few years the accent seemed to drop off, and now people are always sh9cked when they find out I'm from south america. Except Zach, who insists I still speak English a little too properly sometimes, I guess a common thing among people learning a second language.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Class Year *
Cristina L. Cox

Class of 1995

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... at first you think you're a creature from outer space because you have this "accent" - that makes you different. Different BAD! Then, after you lose the accent, people tell you it was cool... (Information that could have been brought to my attention YESTERDAY!!)[/quote]
Fermin Hernandez

Class of 1982

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject: 1991 Reply with quote

On Feb 25th 1991 Sarah E Hernandez came into the World and My life was complete.
Julie Nicole Karcher

Class of 1996

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, back then I never connected why both of your were so proper in your english. Isn't that funny. You and yours went through a lot and I always admired and loved the three of you for your strength since I sort of had an idea of what you had been through...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AustinHigh.org Forum Index -> Collective Timeline All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: