AustinHigh.org Forum Index AustinHigh.org
An online community for alumni and students of Stephen F. Austin High School in Austin, Texas

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maroons working as research scientists?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AustinHigh.org Forum Index -> Science, Math and Health
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrew Chin
Site Admin

Class of 1984

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2003 9:52 am    Post subject: Maroons working as research scientists? Reply with quote

The science program at Austin High was actually one of our hidden strengths. We didn't field a lot of Westinghouse Science Talent Search or UIL Science winners, but we took first place in science at the Texas Academic Decathlon by a long margin. I don't know if the LBJ Science Academy has changed that, though.

Having left mathematics several years ago, I'm happy to see that Bryant Nelson and Ann Loraine (1984) have "kept the faith" as scientists. Are there any other working research scientists among us?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Class Year *
Silke Morin

Class of 1987

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent 5 years in a doctoral program in Neurobiology at UT doing bench research - cloning and trying to localize sex steroid receptors in the brain of weakly electric fish. My decision as to which college to attend, what to major in, and what to do in life started with Mrs. Newell's Anatomy and Physiology class at Austin High. Now I teach that class.
Marcy Cox Hogan

Class of 1998

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zach Hogan I know went to and I think won some UIL competitions in science stuff. In fact I bet if I looked around our apartment a bit I might find the certificates... haha. He went to UT and now has a BS in Chem Engineering and is a research associate with a materials research company out here in San Jose.

Yay for my smarty pants hubby... Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Class Year *
Colin Bown

Class of 1988

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: New Ph.D. Reply with quote

Hi -
While at Austin High I never did the competitive science thing, but did a lot of math competitions, regularly placing well at state meets, and participating in ARML. (You may not remember me but I looked up to you and Alex K. quite a bit, Andy). I received my BA in Physics in '92 and went to the University of Chicago for graduate studies. I returned to Austin to work as an Engineering Scientist at the Applied Research Labs, University of Texas in 2001. This very month I defended my dissertation work in Chicago (particle physics) and am now a full-fleged Ph.D.
Andrew Chin
Site Admin

Class of 1984

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calling all working scientists: You can now share your discoveries with your "old school" classmates in the new Science and Math section of the Blackboard forum.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Class Year *
Margaret Cheney

Class of 1972

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: mathematics research Reply with quote

I'm an Austin High graduate from 1972, and am now a professor of mathematics at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. I'm an applied mathematician, and am currently doing research on the mathematics of radar imaging. Anybody who's interested can download some of my papers from my web site http://www.rpi.edu/~cheney .
I believe that the calculus class I took my senior year was the first one taught at Austin High.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AustinHigh.org Forum Index -> Science, Math and Health All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: