AustinHigh.org Forum Index AustinHigh.org
An online community for alumni and students of Stephen F. Austin High School in Austin, Texas

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Full Circle

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Silke Morin

Class of 1987

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 11:41 am    Post subject: Full Circle Reply with quote

Hello Class of 1987...Here's an encapsulated version of my life if you wondered, "What ever happened to...?"

Professional stuff...I graduated from Wellesley College in 1991, taught high school science at Travis from 1993-1996, then enrolled in a doctoral program in Neurobiology at UT. After 5 years of mind-numbing molecular biology work, I jumped ship in May 2003 with a Master's degree and returned to teaching, this time at Austin High. I replaced Mrs. Newell, who retired this past year, and I teach Biology, Anatomy/Physiology, and AP Biology - talk about coming full circle. I have to say it is really great to be back at Austin High where I see Ms. Cohlmia and Senor Castano on a regular basis.

Personal stuff...I am married with two sons from my first marriage. Both boys are at O. Henry. (How can I possibly have two sons in middle school?). My oldest son will be here at AHS next year. Talk about weird.

Please keep in touch. I'd love to hear from fellow alums.
Jenny Bourbeau

Class of 1987

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow... that's really cool. I can't believe you have kids at O Henry!! Gawd, we're gettin old Surprised
Virginia Sorrell Lynn

Class of 1987

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Silke! Those kids are lucky to have you at AHS. My own crew of 4 munchkins keep me feeling young and old at the same time. It will be amazing to share the same school halls with your oldest next year! Virginia
Christopher Bean

Class of 1987

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silke,

Glad to hear you are doing well. Can't believe you are teaching at SFA. Seems like just yesterday you were helping me cram for exams. Take care. Chris Bean, Houston
Jennifer (Rankhorn) Paris

Class of 1987

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unbelievable! I never pegged you for a teacher. That's cool! Please say hi to Ms. Cohlmea (can't spell it anymore). I still frequently contemplate the movement of energy thanks to her.

I was surprised to see how many people are still here because I never see anyone around. Well, except Dee Muckleroy. We've been friends ever since HS. He lives up the street from me. We had contemplated going to our (was it 10?) year reunion but we missed it for whatever reason.
Otherwise, I work for the state /yawn/. I earned a degree in life experiences. My husband also works for the state but he's a musician "in real life". Band name LeReve. No kids - we are the kids still. He picked me up at Eeyores Birthday when I was 19 and I never left. So that's been nice. I never really had to encounter the dating scene (thank God because meeting people was a challenge for me). Mostly now I roam the city looking for fun and frolic. OK actually I hang out at home and garden alot. Guess I"m old now too. Oh well.

Speaking of full circle - John and I once lived in the house on Lake Austin Blvd. 3rd house from MoPac on the north side. It's a business now. Funny thing is that one day I was out in the backyard and thought "gee this looks familliar" and I realized that I and whomever from AHS used to go back there and /hang out/ during class occasionally. To be certain, it was only study hall we were missing. Anyhow it was really odd to go eat at Thundercloud or the restaraunt formerly known as the Omletry (Magnolia Cafe). And I'm glad they have not changed school very much because everything else in this town has. I suppose including all of us.

Well, this is nice. Hi to you and everyone! See y'all around.
JEN
Benjamin K. Sanchez

Class of 1987

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone, Benjamin here. Silke, I, and others went to several classes together. I remember that I was the only male in Senor Castano's class as a senior. I remember having class down on the river and taking a group picture (which I think I still have somewhere)! I also remember Mrs. Cohlmia's science class especially, because I wrote a rap about "stoichiometry" and performed it for the class and gave copy of it to Mrs. Cohlmia.

I didn't date in high school because I was so shy about things like that. All that changed when I attended UT as a freshman. My first college party was the spark that I needed, and then I couldn't stop. I had one hell of a year as a freshman, and it showed in my grades. April of 1988 was bittersweet, because UT told me to take some time off and come back to college when I was ready to be a student again (this, after having graduated with honors from SFA and obtaining full scholarships to UT!) and I met my wife during that time as well.

I took off to Miami that summer of 1988 and stayed with my dad for the fall semester (attending community college). On Christmas Day, 1988, I returned to Austin to Annette and lived with her and her family for a couple of months before Annette and I moved out together in March 1989. I worked at various places, such as the Secretary of State's Office, Motorola, and Holiday Inn. I finally had enough and returned to UT in the fall of 1991. In April 1992, Annette and I married. I graduated from UT in 1994 and began University of Houston Law School that year (graduating in 1997).

During law school, we learned that Annette had developed leukemia. So I worked full time, attended law school full time, and took care of Annette. When she was at her worst, I took a semester off from law school, and thus graduated one semester later than the rest of my class (December 1997 instead of May 1997). Ever since Annette became sick, I worked on my own in order to have a flexible schedule. Annette went into remission and has made a full recovery. I started my own practice upon being licensed in 1998. In December 2000, Annette and I moved to Dallas so that Annette could be closer to friends and family (as her mother died from breast cancer in 1999). I eventually closed my practice in 2002 and went to work for a plaintiff's firm. At the end of last year, Annette and I were finally ready to seriously consider buying a home, and we decided we liked Houston better than Dallas. So, I quit my job and found a defense firm to work for here in Houston.

Wow, this post is longer than I thought it would be. Anyway, we don't have any kids and may not have any for that matter.

I am happy with my life, even though I have encountered some bumps along the way. I used to think about what would have happened if I had kept my head in the books during my freshman year at UT, but soon let go of that and concentrated on making the best of what my life is (not what it could have been). There is one thing, however, that I must say that I regret, and I don't mean to be embarrass Silke here, but here it goes: during our Spanish class with Senor Castano, I came to develop a crush on Silke. I eventually wrote a song about my feelings for Silke and put it to music on the piano. I wanted to make it my audition for the senior talent show, but chickened out and auditioned with a dance routine (and rightfully was not voted into the show). Before I chickened out, I had planned to make a fool of myself and tell the entire audience (assuming I was voted into the show) that the song was dedicated to Silke Morin!

Silke, this was the song I wrote for you, entitled "Dedication":

This is a dedication, yes it is
To the one I love, yes it is
I love her, yes I do
But she doesn't know my love is true

Dedication, I love her
Dedication, I want to show her
Hear what I say, see what I do
I want to spend all my time with you

You are so sweet, I think that you are
I need you the most by far
Come over here, I'll show you how
I just want to love you now

Dedication, I love her

When I think of you, I wonder why
When I see you, I cannot lie
Your smile, I just can't describe
There's not a cure a doctor can prescribe

Dedication, I love her

Touch me, hold me
Need me, love me
I need you now, can't you see it in my eyes
It's all true, I'm telling you no lies

Dedication, I love her

(end of song)

I was heavy into creative writing in high school. Not only did I write songs and raps, I also wrote poetry. One of my poems was included in the 1986-1987 student poetry publication at SFA.

So, today, I am a sixth-year attorney and have been married for 12 years. I make a good living and am happy with my life, although Annette and I will finally purchase our first home this summer! I am trying to rekindle some old friendships, as the older I get, the more I understand that true friends are hard to find (and you have to start somewhere). So, if anyone I may have known in high school sees this, please e-mail me if you get up the nerve . . . I won't bite!

Benjamin

P.S. - Silke, I apologize for any offense or embarrassment this post may cause, but I've been holding that in for 18 years now and am glad to have finally made the big reveal! As with any love secretly desired but never reached for, you'll always have a special place in my heart.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Class Year *
Silke Morin

Class of 1987

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Benjamin. What a life story. I'm glad your wife is cancer free and that you are enjoying your life. I can totally empathize about "what if's"...I had my first son at 20. I had my whole life planned out (college, grad school, etc.) and then I got pregnant at the end of my sophmore year in college, and everything changed. But, that's how life is...one of my favorite quotes is "It is good to have an end to journey toward but it is the journey that matters in the end." So true.
I loved that Spanish class (see my post in the teacher section). I had dinner with Senor and Ginny Riley (nee Driver) not too long ago. We talked about class and tried to think of all the students who were in it. I am so happy I get to see Senor on a regular basis. I hug him anytime I see him in the hall.
Take care.
Ruthanne M. Betts

Class of 1987

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Class of '87,
Most of you may not remember me. I transferred out after my freshman year. Anyway, I am currently in San Antonio with my partner of 5+ years. We have 9 four-legged children and my partner has a 25 year old daughter and a 6 year old grandson. I am currently an aviation mechanic at Boeing. I am going to go back to school for either a business or engineering degree. Hope to hear from and/or about more grads!
Tracy Urban

Class of 1987

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Silke,
I read your full circle story and that is really interesting that you wound up back at AHS. I was wondering if you know whatever happened to Mr. Gilliam. He was my first Spanish teacher at AHS, and his class was memorable for me. I saw him once at the grocery store about 12 years ago. Seems he has retired, but I was wondering if he was still alive.
Tracy (Willars) Urban
Holly Powell Lange

Class of 1987

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Sorry we missed you! Reply with quote

Silke!
Sorry we missed you Saturday night! I heard it was a great party. Glad you are at AHS. And the boys at O'Henry is not all that hard to believe, but surreal nonetheless. It seems like we were pep squad leaders just last week (okay, maybe not just last week...). Don't miss that drama at all!
XO.
H
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Class Year *
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AustinHigh.org Forum Index -> Class of 1987 All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: