AustinHigh.org Forum Index AustinHigh.org
An online community for alumni and students of Stephen F. Austin High School in Austin, Texas

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Still kicking here!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AustinHigh.org Forum Index -> Teachers' Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Seņor Castaņo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2003 8:56 am    Post subject: Still kicking here! Reply with quote

Hola gente from everywhere! Ol' Seņor would love to hear from all of you.
mlcastano@yahoo.com Very Happy
adam cowdin

Class of 2003

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey castano, you still doin fantasy sports???
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Class Year *
Manuel L Castaņo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 6:13 pm    Post subject: Still at Fantasy Reply with quote

If you want to play baseball next seasson, let me know your yahoo email.
Jenny Cox

Class of 2002

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 1:37 am    Post subject: heyyy! Reply with quote

what up Sr. Castano! let me know how to do the tilde on here and then i can properly spell your name..anyways, I haven't applied yet, but am planning on going abroad to Valparaiso, Chile next fall!! ain't that exciting?!?! as you can tell, I sure am stoked. It'll be great to save some money on tuition, hopefully get the spanish language down pat, and take a break from the hectic sched at school (rest assured I didn't prioritize those reasons). How's everything going for you?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Class Year *
Kira Haydon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2003 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Senor!
I miss Spanish class so much! All I am doing is math and science here at UT and it is really difficult, and not as much fun as i expected. Finals are coming up really soon, and Sara and I are planning on coming to visit you soon!
Keep doin what you're doing, you do a great job!
Kira
S Dresslar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seņor Castaņo -

If you remember me, I took Spanish II and the first semester of Spanish IV with you.

To make a long story short, I recently purchased a CD-ROM so I can learn Spanish.

Very Happy
Gordon Merrill

Class of 1989

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2004 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hola Seņor Castaņo!

What a great class! I'm SO glad I took it. Was that 1985/86 or 86/87!? I can't recall.

You were definitely one of the more personable teachers. I remember I had a bright polo shirt with blue, red, green, yellow, and white -- each a big single, horizontal stripe. You loved it when I'd wear it to school ... making me stand up and quiz the other 1st year students on their colors. Had I thought about it, I would have donated it to you so YOU could wear it.

LEER ... is still a truck camper shell.

Oh, and stay away from the green milkshakes! Shocked Yeah, that was a GREAT story. It's been roughly 17 years, and I still remember your three day experience. Well, at least as much of it as YOU remember.

Stay cool, stay crazy.

Gordo
Silke Morin

Class of 1987

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Mr. Gilliam and Ms. Tamez for Spanish my first year at AHS. Then, Seņor Castaņo came to AHS, his first year of teaching, and I was his student the rest of the time I was at AHS. Seņor was young, and going through life changes (divorce, sobriety, who knows what else). Our class was small and close, and we stayed with Seņor for the next three years. Seņor was our teacher, our mentor, and our friend. We looked forward to Spanish class because we wanted to be in that space with him. He wanted us there and we knew that.

I remember our class going out to dinner with Seņor at El Patio, going to his house on Daniel Street, seeing a class photo we had given to him for his birthday up on his wall. It sounds weird now, but it wasn't weird at all. We admired and liked and even loved Seņor, not in the distant, reverential way, the way that students felt about Mr. Kinney. Seņor was real. We knew he wanted us in his class. We knew he wanted to teach us. We knew that was where we all belonged.

And then we wrote to him in college. We saw him when he came to our weddings. We never forget him. Never.

So when I interviewed for a job at AHS last May, the first person I went to see after my interview was Seņor. I walked into his room on the third floor and it was just like 1987. He knew exacltly who I was. He hugged me and introduced me to his class. He asked about my best girl friend from AHS, my high school boyfirend. It was like 17 years hadn't even passed (17 years?!).

Now he is my colleague and he tries to get me to call him Manuel, but he is always Seņor to me. He has shown his students a video of my Spanish class dancing cumbia. I don't even remember it; but my own students have seen it and they tell me about it.

Thank you, Seņor. For all the good memories. [/code]
christopher l corsbie

Class of 1985

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Don Manuel, teaching Spanish at UT, guess it ended up as a better gig than hanging out at AHS after doing a year there 96-97. Hope you are well. Stay in touch, say hi to Bill.
512-448-0811
Doctoral Student, UT Austin
Language for Special purposes
CALICO
Democratic Party
Austin Sailing Society
Barton Heights Hoot Steering Committee
Every 2nd Sat. at 1701 Collier
Katasha Varner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: I was talking about you the other day Senor Castano Reply with quote

WOW!

I was talking to some students about my Spanish class experience in high school the this past week.

Those were some fun times in your class. Nowadays I can translate more than I can speak Spanish...isn't that STRANGE!!! I took French in college and probably should have stuck with Spanish.
I'm hoping to remedy that by heading to Cuerna Vaca, Mexico this summer...

I recall Gordon's shirt display in your class because I was one of the kids he was grilling about the colors... Very Happy

I hope all is well and your current students enjoy the Castano Spanish class experience as much as I did.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AustinHigh.org Forum Index -> Teachers' Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: