AustinHigh.org Forum Index AustinHigh.org
An online community for alumni and students of Stephen F. Austin High School in Austin, Texas

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AustinHigh.org Forum Index -> Collective Timeline
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrew Chin
Site Admin

Class of 1984

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:24 am    Post subject: 1973 Reply with quote

Post your memories from the year 1973 here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Class Year *
Marcy Cox Hogan

Class of 1998

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of an odd one to post, but I believe it was in '73 that Augusto Pinochet and the military took over in Chile. I was not alive, but my mom was living in Chile with my dad when it happened.

Interestingly enough, the day of the coup was September 11th. But I think it's just sheer coincidence.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Class Year *
Mike Lee

Class of 1981

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 1:42 pm    Post subject: Santiago, Chile--the Stadium, and Victor Jara's last song Reply with quote

My mother's parish priest in Buda (1980s) was caught up in the 1973 coup. Thrown into a stadium where several hundred prisoners were taken down into the basement, tortured and eventually executed.

One of them was Victor Jara, a well-known folksinger and poet. Before the military came to take him into the locker rooms he composed one last song. No paper and pencils handy--also it was obviously dangerous to be caught with such an item. So he went to several prisoners in the crowd and taught them the song. That parish priest, also a poet, was one.

The verse that sticks out in my mind is this:

It terrifies me to find myself
Lost in infinite moments
On which silence and shouts
Are the objectives of my song

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AustinHigh.org Forum Index -> Collective Timeline All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: