AustinHigh.org Forum Index AustinHigh.org
An online community for alumni and students of Stephen F. Austin High School in Austin, Texas

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AustinHigh.org Forum Index -> Collective Timeline
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrew Chin
Site Admin

Class of 1984

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 11:26 am    Post subject: 1980 Reply with quote

Post your memories from the year 1980 here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Class Year *
Marcy Cox Hogan

Class of 1998

PostPosted: Sun Feb 29, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On sept 13th of this year the world welcomed little Marcy Cox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Class Year *
Cristina L. Cox

Class of 1995

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marcy Cox Hogan wrote:

... was it a Friday?
(tee-hee Twisted Evil )
Marcy Cox Hogan

Class of 1998

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cristina L. (Cox) Cornell wrote:
Marcy Cox Hogan wrote:

... was it a Friday?
(tee-hee Twisted Evil )

Ya know, it would have been so cool if it had been a friday... but no. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Class Year *
Geoffrey Guynn

Class of 1982

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: John Lennon Reply with quote

On December 8, 1980 John Lennon was shot and killed in NYC. Many of us Austin High students held a candel light vigil under the Christmas tree in Zilker Park.

-Erasmus
Staci Davis

Class of 1984

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 2:35 pm    Post subject: lennon big flood Reply with quote

We went to the Christmas tree at Zilker. I must know 'Tiger' I wish I had some pictures so that I could better place these people. This sounds like someone I would know!
Mike Lee

Class of 1981

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2004 12:33 am    Post subject: oh yeah, that day Reply with quote

Quote:
Mike Lee and I and possibly others went to the vigil in hopes of seducing distraught hippie chicks, but all we found were 30 something burn-outs holding hands and singing "Imagine". (Not that I would have had a clue how to go about seducing a distraught hippie chick had I actually found one.)

It was something like that. I still get a chuckle remembering you and I holding votive candles. It seemed so wrong.
Eleanor Simons

Class of 1981

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: When John Lennon died Reply with quote

I remember this quite vividly too.
My boyfriend at the time, Justus, and I were very sad about this. We were at his house, and we were both crying. (As I remember, we consoled each other about it.) I guess I was one of the distraught hippie chicks!!
I remember seeing the story in the Austin American Statesman the next day, and thinking that the world would never be the same.

ellie
Letha (Green) McGee

Class of 1978

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: John Lennon's Death Reply with quote

On that day in Dec. 1980, I was a sophomore at UT. I lived in a little rented house on Avenue E (I think). I had put my Christmas tree up early, and was spread out on the floor in front of it studying for the upcoming finals. I had the radio on low, just for background noise, when they made the announcement about his being shot. I later purchased his and Yoko's new album and played John's songs over and over and over. I skipped over Yoko's screeching solos. This was, of course, before the age of music on CD's.

I recall laying there on the floor, stunned, then crying wondering why would anyone hurt someone whose art had brought such joy to so many.

This, of course, was followed 3+ months later by Reagan's being shot. I had a decidedly different reaction to that shooting.
Eleanor Simons

Class of 1981

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: further memories of 1980 Reply with quote

Letha:
I also bought that album of John and Yoko's. I, too, skipped over her solos. Also, as you recalled, my reaction to Reagan's shooting was not nearly as emotional.
I can remember my absolute horror when he was reelected for a second term. I was at the union on the patio at UT. People all around me were celebrating his reelection, and I felt like a stranger in a strange land. I sipped my beer, and felt a forboding of bad things to come crawl all over me. Little did I know then that Bush (of the W variety) was yet to come and would blow away all world records of political repulsion. O the humanity!
Thank you for bringing back these bittersweet memories.

ellie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AustinHigh.org Forum Index -> Collective Timeline All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: