AustinHigh.org Forum Index AustinHigh.org
An online community for alumni and students of Stephen F. Austin High School in Austin, Texas

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Study Abroad Adventures

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AustinHigh.org Forum Index -> Foreign Language
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marcy Cox Hogan

Class of 1998

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: Study Abroad Adventures Reply with quote

My younger sis (Jenny Cox) just flew out today to go to Chile for a semester of study abroad. Poor thing was so nervous about the whole thing. =) She'll be staying with a host family in Valaparaiso.

I never did study abroad, part of me kinda regrets it a little (although overall I'm pretty happy with my college experience). Did/Is anyone out there participate(ing) in a study abroad program? Where did you go, and how was it? I thought it would be interesting to collect people's experiences of travels abroad on here. Heck, maybe we can give each other pointers and suggestions for places to go. =)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Class Year *
Andrew Chin
Site Admin

Class of 1984

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, how was Jenny's experience? Any photos to share?

I had two study-abroad experiences: one semester in Budapest, Hungary, and four years in Oxford, England. Coincidentally, both programs are having reunions this summer -- celebrating 20 years of the Budapest program and the retirement of my doctoral supervisor at Oxford. They're three weeks apart, so I probably can't go to both... my days of youth hosteling and Eurailing are behind me. Which would you go to?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Class Year *
Marcy Cox Hogan

Class of 1998

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know if she'll come on here herself and post about it, but she came back from Chile just before xmas and she had a wonderful time. She was there with our dad, which made it a different experience than your usual study abroad one, but I think it gave her a great opportunity to work on her spanish and reconnect with her latin roots. =)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Class Year *
Michael Marks

Class of 1996

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about to say, "Is it really study abroad if you go back to the fatherland?"
Colin M. Eby

Class of 1997

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Study Abroad Reply with quote

Hey Michael,

I would like to comment here, while you have a good point about whether or not it's really study abroad if you go back to your homeland. You could look at that two ways,

1. Yea, you are going back to your "homeland" in that you are going back to your cultural roots.

2. Hell no! Study Abroad means leaving your current country of residence.

It's up to y'all to decide which one you choose. I hope you all are doing well, take care!
Marcy Cox Hogan

Class of 1998

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but what if your "roots" are totally foreign to you? Wink Jen was just 7 yrs old when we left Chile!
Colin M. Eby

Class of 1997

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well hmmm....that could be looked at in two ways.
1. Yea, okay, if your roots are totally foreign to you then yes you are going back home to your roomts.

2. One could argue that your roots are wherever you really call home.
Michael Marks

Class of 1996

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

7?

Unless she suddenly forgot how to speak Spanish, it doesn't count.
Smile
Marcy Cox Hogan

Class of 1998

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, she did-- when you go for 10+ yrs barely ever practicing a language it kinda leaves your brain. She basically started over by taking Spanish classes in high school, and even then didn't remember much. I was 11 yrs old when we moved, and I struggle with my Spanish (I'm *almost* fluent, or could be with some intensive practice-- currently I have a hard timne holding a conversation). I think Cristina and JC were the only ones not to lose it, b/c they were older when they came here and continued to use it (unlike me & Jenny who instead focused on getting our Englush right and let Spanish fade off).
Michael Marks

Class of 1996

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgetting your mother tongue? You girls assimilated too much.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AustinHigh.org Forum Index -> Foreign Language All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: